What your baby really needs
Laura Furiosi > 18 April 2018
It can sometimes be very overwhelming being an expectant Mother. There are so so so many products out on the market that call themselves the "must have" item for your new baby. It is so hard to know what you need but you want to be prepared. The last thing you want to be doing is running around the shops with a newborn baby. It makes sense Mums want to be prepared before the birth. It is in our nature and that nesting instinct spurs us on to do it. So the question really is what does your baby really need?
In Finland all new expectant Mothers can recieve a free box from the governement, full of items that they will need for their baby. Inside the box you will find bodysuits, a sleeping bag, outdoor clothing, nappies, bedding, a mattress and bath products. The babies mostly spend the first few nights sleeping in the box. It is a tradition that has gone back 75 years. Wouldn't it be great if all expectant Mothers all around the world got this and what should be in the box?
I recently read a great article by Jen Miller that detailed "everything you need for your baby, according to science".
She has researched carefully to find what is REALLY needed as she mentions
"There are countless products out there aimed at new parents, designed to make your transition into parenthood as smooth as possible. However, the quantity of merchandise out there can make it hard to know what’s necessary and what’s a waste of money."
I am no expert, but I have had three children. I have surcubmed to the emotional purchases and unpractical purchases that I realised later were unnessasry. It is all part of the learning. Below is a list of things that I think you should consider buying if you are getting ready for a new bub. Just keep in mind, everyone is different and every baby has different needs but this list should keep you covered for the basics.
- Cot (or bassinet) (or BOX if you are from FINLAND)
- Fitted sheet (buy more than one if you don't want to do the washing too often)
- Fitted waterproof mattress protector (this helps with those spews, poos and surprise messes)
- Swaddles or muslin wraps or blankets (this helps keep baby settled)
- Towel - try find one with a hood, this is good to keep their body temperature controlled when they get out of the bath.
- Face washers
- Nappies - get friends to buy them for you instead of flowers at the birth.... just sayin.
- Nappy wipes
- Baby bath
- Change mat or change table
- Baby capsule/rear-facing car seat
- Pram or baby sling
- Nappy bag (or you can just use your normal handbag.... if it is big enough)
- Singlets x 5+
- Short-sleeved bodysuits x 5+
- Long-sleeved growsuits x 5+
- UV protective swimwear (notice how I slipped that one in there.... even if you are not going to do swimming, if you are going to the beach it is a good idea to have long sleeves and long legs to keep them protected)
- Socks x 3+
- Bottles, if you’re bottlefeeding
Phew what a list..... however notice there is alot missing that you will find at the shops. Just keep that in mind. The extra purchases you could maybe do AFTER you have had the baby and you know what you really need and want.
I would love to hear from you and see what you would add or take off the list. Either way good luck with your new parenting journey. Enjoy.