Pool Safety Checklist - Keeping your baby, toddler and kids safe.
lauraf > 4 March 2017
For the pool safety checklist scroll down
Follow the ABC of pool safety
- Always supervise your baby, toddler or child near a pool
- Begin swimming lessons for your baby toddler or child.
- Close the pool gate and keep your fence maintained
SWIMMING POOL GATE - kids are little escape artists, you need to be super careful with the gate.
- Must open outward from pool.
- Must be self closing and self latching.
- Latch must be more than 1.5m from the ground
SWIMMING POOL FENCE - some babies are climbers so make sure you also don't leave things around for them to climb up on
- Secure and in good working order
- Should be at least 1.2m high
- No more than 100mm from the ground
- No vertical gaps more than 100mm apart
EMERGENCY PREPARATION - St Johns offers some online e courses you can do, if you cant make it to a venue to learn it in person (see below for link)
- Up to date CPR and First Aid Skills
- Resuscitation sign prominent in pool area
- Electricity and water do not mix
- A residual current device (RCD) or residual current circuit breaker (RCCB) can save lives.
- Adult supervision in combination with pool fencing is the most effective method of preventing your child from drowning
- Should be stored securely, out of view and out of children’s reach